Good to know
|Distance to city centre||22.9 km|
|Nearest Airport||Newcastle upon Tyne|
|Distance to airport||16.7 km|
Time of year
Show reviews that mention
|beautiful setting||in 12 reviews|
|beauty treatments||in 6 reviews|
|country house||in 5 reviews|
|drawing room||in 152 reviews|
|excellent food||in 177 reviews|
|excellent service||in 50 reviews|
|facilities were excellent||in 86 reviews|
|golf course||in 19 reviews|
|great pool||in 43 reviews|
|great spa||in 96 reviews|
|lovely room||in 154 reviews|
|music playing||in 7 reviews|
|relaxing weekend||in 27 reviews|
|staff great||in 297 reviews|
|sunday lunch||in 9 reviews|
|wedding anniversary||in 23 reviews|
The location and views were excellent. Staff were well dressed but are over efficient this attitude tends to come over as disinterested and unapproachable.
The room was too hot even when the thermostat was turned right down and the windows open as wide as they would go. Had to use the provided fan all night the noise and the heat keeping us both from sleeping properly. The food served in the bar was adequate but really the french fries served with steak should not be skinny ones but proper thick ones. Also there seems to be only two disabled parking spaces in the courtyard and although the access and entrance facilities were very good it is a long way from the courtyard to walk to reception. Furthermore adding drinks to the bill that were not ordered is not acceptable.
Fantastic place to stay, the staff are so friendly they can't do enough for you. Food and rooms fabulous. Every thing about the place is 1st class.
Beautiful, clean, amazing staff, pristine conditions, style, stunning views, amazing golf course, everything!
Everything especially the food
- food was very good. Dinner in the formal dining room was faultless (apart from running out of wine - see above)
- bedroom was very hot and stuffy however they did have a fan and an dehumidifier in the room so at least they tried - no way to turn off heated towel rail in the bathroom which was BOILING! - had to remember to bring your check in slip with your signature on to charge anything to the room, which is a bit inconvenient and old fashioned. Most luxury hotels (which this calls itself) have moved on - formal dining room was formal(!), but also staid, stuffy and old fashioned. Again, others have moved on. - they had run out of every desert wine at dinner and couldn't offer any alternative, which was a bit odd - no plug points near the bed - radio alarm on other side of room from the bed! - staff were pleasant and professional, but it all felt a little staid and overly formal in 2019
Located in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Matfen Hall Hotel, Golf and Spa is in a rural location, within a 15-minute drive of Aydon Castle and Corbridge Roman Site. Featured amenities include a business center, a 24-hour front desk, and luggage storage. Free self parking is available onsite.
based on 1,059 reviews
Things to Know
- Spacious rooms
- Professional service
- Nice building
- Pleasant hotel grounds
Policies vary by room type and provider.
Reviews about Matfen Hall Hotel, Golf And Spa
Most Popular Landmarks
- St James' Park 22.3 km
- Discovery Museum 22.4 km
- St Mary's Cathedral 22.7 km
- Eldon Square Shopping Centre 22.8 km
- Newcastle Arts Centre 22.8 km
- Newcastle City Council 22.9 km
|Newcastle upon Tyne||16.7 km|
|Carlisle Lake District||55.7 km|
|Corbridge, Nthumb||9.1 km|
|Wylam Prudhoe, Nthumb||10 km|