Wichita Car Rental Information
|Car Types||Commercial, Compact, Convertible, Economy, Full-size, Intermediate, Luxury, Minivan, Premium, SUV, Standard, Van|
|Popular Agencies||Dollar, Avis, Surprise Agency, National, Payless|
Cheap Car Rentals in Wichita
Wichita car rental reviews and directory
Car Rental Locations in or near Wichita
Good to Know
|Most Popular Car Type||Full-size|
When to Book a Rental Car in Wichita
Top tips for renting a car in Wichita
- A rental car is the most comfortable and cost-effective way of exploring not only the city of Wichita, but also the surrounding state of Kansas. With a car, you can explore at your own pace Wichita’s main points of interest, such as the Old Town area or the Tanganyika Wildlife Park, which is just 15 miles from the center. Hop into the car for a road trip to Oklahoma City, which is about 160 miles south of Wichita.
- All the major car rental companies, including Alamo, Avis, and Budget, can be found at Wichita Dwight D. Eisenhower National Airport (ICT), which is only about 7 miles west of the city center. The rental car desks are situated near the Baggage Claim area of the main terminal, and the rental cars are parked on the first floor of the parking garage.
- Driving in Wichita is pretty straightforward and, while downtown can get a bit crowded, there are many places where you can drive and park your car. Drivers are allowed to take a right turn on a red light, but always give pedestrians and bicyclists the right of way. Summer gets very hot, so make sure you get a car with good A/C. Tornadoes are common in Kansas, so if you encounter one either steer away from its path or seek shelter immediately.
- Traffic in Wichita is very mild, especially compared to other big U.S. cities. The roads are more crowded during rush hour (between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. and from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.), but as long as you avoid driving during those time frames you can easily drive even the longer commutes done in under 30 minutes. You may find there’s more congestion in the winter since the weather can get a bit rough, causing more accidents than normal.
- Book your rental car in Wichita at least 1 day before your trip in order to get a below-average price
- Economy rental cars in Wichita are around 17% cheaper than other car types, on average
FAQs About Renting a Car in Wichita
What is the most popular rental car in Wichita?
Full-size (Class Full-size truck or similar) is the most frequently booked rental car type in Wichita.
What is the cheapest car rental company in Wichita?
What is the best rental car company in Wichita?
How can I find car rentals near me in Wichita?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
How much does a Full-size car rental cost in Wichita?
A Full-size car rental in Wichita costs C$ 74 per day, on average.
How much does a Economy car rental cost in Wichita?
A Economy car rental in Wichita costs C$ 57 per day, on average.
What type of car is recommended for driving in Wichita?
If you're just driving around the city, a compact, economy car is a better option because it’s easier to maneuver and park downtown. If you’re planning on embarking on a longer journey across the state, a mid-size sedan or a spacious SUV are better options, depending on how many people are traveling.
What's the speed limit in Wichita?
The speed limit is usually 30 mph in urban areas, with the exception of certain residential areas that may have lower limits. Two-lane highways’ speed limits range between 55 and 65 mph, but on some rural highways limits may go as high as 70 mph. Both the Kansas Turnpike and some rural segments of freeway allow for a 75 mph maximum.
How are gas prices in Wichita?
The average gas prices in Wichita are approximately $1.93 per gallon. Lower prices can range anywhere between $1.84 and $1.89 per gallon. If you’re going on a longer road trip, make sure you fill up the tank either late in the evening or early in the morning to avoid crowds at the gas station.
Where are the best places to park in Wichita?
Downtown Wichita offers several parking garages with hourly or daily parking, such as the Century II Parking lot, and all the public parking garages in Old Town are free to use. There are also many on-street parking spaces, which are usually time-restricted. Street parking meters in Wichita are enforced from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, and rates range between $0.50 and $2 per hour.